There is much to yoga than breathing techniques and asanas. Yoga involves various approaches to keep you uplifted and healthy. Akash mudra is one of those approaches.
According to Ayurveda, your body consists of an inbuilt energy circuit.
The pressure points of this circuit are present throughout your palms and fingers.
Performing certain gestures or mudras can stimulate these points.
It is believed that five elements are present in your body, and their balance can be maintained through your fingers.
Akash mudra is one such exercise that can maintain the balance of the space, which is one of the five elements.
Let’s understand more about Akash mudra, How to do it, and Health Benefits.
The word Akash is derived from the Sanskrit language, which means to recognize and view. Akash mudra means a gesture of hands.
As mentioned before, this exercise benefits the space elements of all the five elements present in your body.
An increase in the space elements can promote openness and make your broad-minded. It also aids in transforming your negative thoughts, such as anger and selfishness, into positive feelings of selfless behavior and love.
It is believed that the soul or Atma represents space in your body. Practicing Akash mudra liberates blue energy, which triggers your throat or vishuddha chakra. So, it unites your inner peace with the universal peace and your consciousness to the universal consciousness.
The middle finger has points that manage this space element. So, as you may have guessed, Akash mudra involves the middle finger. It also includes your thumb, which is a symbol of fire.
When these two elements come in contact, they can help to manage disorders such as hearing loss and migraines. These health abnormalities are linked to the space element in your body.
Besides, Akash mudra cultivates peace of mind. The hand gesture in most of the Buddha’s status is that of Akash Mudra.
How to Do It?
Performing this mudra involves the middle finger and thumb. To practice it, fold your middle finger of both your hands so that it touches the respective thumbs. Now, extend the rest of your fingers and maintain this gesture.
Let’s break this into more simple steps!
As with most of the yoga exercises, this exercise also requires a specific posture.
You can sit in any comfortable position, such as Sukhasana, Vajrasana, or Padmasana. This sitting posture will provide firmness to your body required for the meditation practice.
Now, streamline your back, head, and neck and initiate deep breathing. This further enhances your awareness.
However, if you feel discomfort in either posture, you can maintain a position that suits you.
In case sitting posture for this mudra is not comfortable, then you can change it as per your comfort.
Now, let’s proceed to understand the gesture of fingers and hands.
After you attain a posture, place the back of your palms on your knees.
Now, slowly fold your middle finger and touch it firmly against your thumb.
Once this is done, try to extend the rest of your fingers as much as possible.
While there is no specific time duration for this mudra, you can do it for 30 – 34 minutes daily. Alternatively, you can also spread it into two or three sections throughout the day.
A Word of Caution
Akash mudra has various health benefits if practiced accurately. Some precautions to be followed while performing this mudra are?
- Do not put much pressure while placing fingers against each other. It may cause discomfort while doing this exercise.
- IF you have Vata or wind imbalance, you should practice it with patience.
- Sit comfortably. Stressing yourself may exhaust you.
- Avoid tight clothes, electronic gadgets, or a closed room. They may hinder your practice.
Some of the health benefits offered by Akash Mudra are:
- Helps to manage migraines. It is believed that migraine is caused by an imbalance in space. Practicing Akash mudra overcomes this imbalance and thus relieves migraines.
- Reduces pain associated with sinusitis.
- Activates visuddha or throat chakra.
- Provides peace and enhances consciousness.
- Improves hearing power.
- Improves calcium levels in your body. It thus makes your teeth and bones stronger. It also overcomes calcium deficiency and thus prevents osteoporosis and brittle bones.
- Removes negative emotions of fear, anger, and sorrow.
- Detoxifies your body.
- Helps to overcome uneasiness caused by overeating.
- Enhances alertness and intuitive power.
- Relieves locked jaw that may be caused by excessive yawning.
- Enhances heart health and helps keeping blood pressure in control.
Yoga is an ancient practice with multiple health benefits. Akash mudra is a kind of yoga practice that involves hand gestures. It enhances your space element and prevent disorders associated with it, such as migraine and hearing loss. It is a symbolistic yogic gesture practiced during meditation.
Latest posts by Dr Kinjal Shah (see all)
- Premature Greying of Hair, Everything Answered in FAQs - August 31, 2020
- Postpartum Care – Healing Time for Mothers Post Pregnancy - August 22, 2020
- Avoid Pregnancy Complications for Healthy Baby; Trimester of Pregnancy - August 19, 2020