Last Updated on December 18th, 2020
Backache is very common among people of all ages and gender across the world. Most urban Indians are facing back pain problems these days. It happens mainly because of poor diet and bad posture. It may occur due to stress and tension in the muscles that support spine. Also, it can be the result of a spinal disc problem, injury to the ligaments around the spine, nerves emerging from the spinal cord, injury to muscles of the back, or diseases of the organs of pelvis.
Backache strikes when the muscles are under fatigue, commonly at the neck or lumbar region (where most twisting, turning or bending occurs).
Many other problems can cause back pain and they can be best treated with regular and gentle yoga practice. Yoga forms has proven to be a safe and very effective way to cure many forms of back pain and lower back problems as well as prevent its recurring bouts. However, all major cases of back pain where you have encountered backache for prolonged period need to be evaluated by a medical expert for diagnosis and treatment. But you must not only rely on medicines for complete recovery.
Remedies for Backache and Lower Back Pain Problems.
Yoga, stretching exercises are a must for quick results and relief.
Lower back pain is caused due to excess sitting that can weaken the back muscle and results pain in our lower back. It may also be due to sudden lifting of heavy objects, whereas upper back pain usually occurs between the neck and top of lumbar spine. It is caused due to stress, anxiety, shoulder pain and neck pain.
Yoga is another form of exercise that will help us to relieve from both lower and upper back pain. Practicing yoga poses and exercise movements will help to increase joint flexibility. Yoga regulates blood circulation in all parts of body and hence, can avoid severe ache. Get to learn some yoga and exercise below to cure back ache and lead a comfortable life.
A study looked at the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in 150 people with chronic musculoskeletal pain and found that 93 percent of patients had vitamin D deficiency! So all people with persistent, non-specific musco-skeletal pain should get themselves screened for vitamin D deficiency.
Some Home Remedies to Cure Backache are Listed Below :
- Massage the affected area gently with warm sesame oil and cover it with a cotton cloth. Avoid exposure to air or cold wind.
- Have 2-3 steaspoons of psyllium husk with a glassful of hot milk at bedtime to ease constipation, which is one of the main causes of flatulence and vata aggravation.
- Avoid having cold, stale or fried foods, junk food and aerated and alcoholic beverages.
- Have freshly prepared warm food and chew properly to avoid constipation and flatulence.
- Avoid excessive physical exertion and take complete rest.
- Avoid sitting in one posture for long period of time.
- Little physical exercise in morning like walking, jogging and stretching is also good.
- It is necessary to correct our posture. Crouching or slupming forward on chair is something which should be avoided. Sit straight, move often and keep shoulders upright. A correct posture is something which can help immensely.
- Avoid carrying heavy bags .The American hiropractic Association recommends that our bag –when fully loaded – weighs no more than 10 % of our weight .
- Avoid high heels shoes. High heels force us to arch our back, making our spinal muscles work harder.
- Avoid continuous sitting in front of T.V. or computer. In one Norwegian study of teens, those who sat in front of TV or computer for more than 15 hours a week or more were three times as likely to have lower-back pain.
- Stress causes us to tense our muscles, and constant tension of this kind can cause back pain. Any activity that helps us prevent stress will help to prevent back pain like meditation, deep breathing etc.
Sometimes simple yoga and exercise are enough to stay fit and get rid of back pain and thus even doctors suggest doing some yoga in the morning and then starting your day at work.
Doing Some Stretching Exercises
A recent study found that stretching exercises are very effective for reducing back pain and if done along with yoga can help you overcome the problem of back pain for lifetime. So we can say that stretching is just as effective as yoga at reducing lower back pain or backache problems.
Stretching exercises should be done very carefully and slowly. Any kind of stretching, whether static (you hold the pose) or dynamic (you move through a complete range of motion), can help decrease back-pain risk and also improves the flexibility of the body.
Half Lunge (stretches hips, calves):-
You can try this exercise for backache an lower back pain problems.
Stand with feet staggered, left leg in front. Try to Bend front knee at about 90 degrees and lower the back knee a few inches from floor as shown above. Now slowly Press right hip forward, such that you start feeling a stretch along front of hip. Hold this position for around 20 to 30 seconds. Then Switch sides for complimenting it.
Some more Exercise and Yoga to help Combat Back Pain Problems and Lower Backache
Physical therapists have long advocated/promoted doing the traditional resistance or weight training (using machines, body weight or dumbbells) which helps to improve strength and regain function, especially for everyday activities.
It stabilizes and strengthens your entire body. One should know that “Back pain can occur when muscles of the shoulders, neck or back are not completely prepared for a certain movement with weight in hands, whether that’s lifting a heavy box or carrying a child”.
This is one of the best known exercise for body stretching and training muscles.It helps in strengthening legs, glutes, core of the body.
Stand with feet hip-distance apart. Bend knees, shifting hips back as if sitting into a chair, and lift arms. Hold for 1 count; return to start. Do 10 to 15 reps.
(strengthens pelvic floor, deep abdominals; stretches lower-back muscles)
Follow the image shown above and our simple instructions to do pelvic tilt. firstly lie faceup on floor, knees bent, ankles under knees. Now Exhaling, gently tilt hips up slightly like shown in second image above, keeping butt above floor and flattening spine. Hold for a few seconds, then inhale and return to neutral (starting) position. Try to do minimum 5 and maximum 10 reps.
People who practiced yoga experienced lesser pain and more movement or mobility than those who simply followed a self-care book or rely on medication on back-pain relief.
Yoga combines stretching with strength and balance poses, which help shore up weak body muscles and release tight ones. It’s also acts as a stress reliever; one should know that tension can lead to a tight back and hence minor to major back pain also.
Child’s Pose (stretches back; improves relaxation)
Sit on heels, knees hip-distance apart. Exhale and lower torso between thighs. Reach arms forward. Hold for about 30 to 60 seconds.
Exercise Ball Therapy for Lower Back Pain Relief
The exercise ball is an exercise treatment option for back pain sufferers which is designed in such a way that it helps to prevent or minimize further episodes of low back pain as part of a rehabilitation program. The exercise ball is effective in rehabilitation of the back because it strengthens and develops the core body muscles that help to stabilize the spine.
Don’t Delay to Try Back Pain solutions.
One can reduce risk of back pain with simple lifestyle changes. However, one should not ignore back pain, it could be a sign of more serious condition. If the pain persists for longer periods then one should consult the doctor and discuss the symptoms.
If you had back pain problems and you were able to treat it with some home remedy not mentioned above, then please share it with us so that it can help others also in getting rid of back problems and backache.
You were looking for something else that you were not able to find here? Then please tell us in the below comment section so that we can extract the solution for your problem and bring it to you on this health platform, after all our motive is to spread GOOD HEALTH and help people stay FIT.
Love to read books and travelling.
Latest posts by Abhilasha Ajmera (see all)
- Giloy Benefits and Uses ; Heart-Leaved Moonseed or Guduchi - April 10, 2017
- Zumba or Dance Workout – Fun Workout, Best Fitness Mantra - August 7, 2016
- Back Pain Solutions, Effective Remedies to Get Rid of Backache - September 23, 2015