Do you want lean, perfectly defined abdominal and obliques? Well who doesn’t want a beach body? Having a trim core has become a mark of how fit a person is. It’s therefore not surprising why everyone is eager to learn the best exercises to strengthen these vital muscles.
While most of us have now been sitting for long hours without any workout, and our bodies have gotten used to it, don’t let this pandemic get to your body shape. Getting into shape for the sake of our looks and our overall well being is the need of the hour. Instead of counting reps for each move, perform these 10 best home exercises depending on your fitness level to get a beach body that you so desire:
Side-lying Leg Raises
Trying to achieve the coveted “beach body “? Try this workout that builds up your glutes, hips and core and gives you that perfect lean shape you desire.
- Lie propped up on your right forearm, with your backside completely up against the wall for support. Make sure your heels are pressed together.
- Next, it’s time to engage your abdominal and glutes. Inhale slowly as you lift your top leg up. Hold for about 5-7 seconds and then gently exhale as you bring it back down.
- Continue this for 30 seconds before switching to the other side. Keeping your heels stacked and your body up against the wall ensures that you do not roll forward or backward during the movement, allowing you to target your hips and obliques more effectively.
Planks is one of those exercises which we all love to be repelled by. It primarily targets your core as well as your shoulders, arms and glutes. The best part about planks is that it does not require any equipment and can be performed just about anywhere.
- Start by placing your forearm touching the floor in a plank position. Make sure your elbows are aligned right below your shoulders and arms parallel to the floor at about shoulder width. You can also clasp your hands together if keeping them flat bothers your wrists.
- Gently raise your belly up toward your spine, and crush against your heels. As you do so, feel the pressure in your abs.
- Slowly pivot your left hip as you lower it down to the ground, and return to the start position.
- Then rotate your right hip down and exhale as you come back up to the original position.
Frog on the Mat
This balancing pose strengthens your core, inner thighs and legs. It is another great workout that requires you to use all your strength, for the results are worth the pain!
- Lie with your back flat on the ground, arms by the side, legs straight out, heels buckled together and lifted half feet above the ground.
- Next, put your hands underneath your lower back and either rest your head on the mat if that makes you comfortable or keep it lifted off the ground.
- Keeping your heels clenched together, raise your knees up towards your shoulder and create a diamond shape with your legs.
- Hold on for 5-7 seconds and extend your legs back out to start. Keep your abs tight and engaged and squeeze your glutes during the course of the workout.
Doing sit ups daily, builds up your core strength, increases flexibility, reduces the risk of back pain and injury if you encounter any while doing the other exercises.
- Lie down keeping your back straight on the ground. Bend your knees so that they are pointing towards the ceiling and place feet firmly on the ground to stabilize your lower body.
- Keep your legs hip-width apart, feet flat on the ground, hands placed flat on the sides of your thighs, and spine straight.
- Engage your core, and gently inhale.
- As you exhale, use your core muscles to curl up your upper body towards your knees and slide up your hands from your thighs to your knees. Keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Inhale and slowly roll back down to the original position. During the course of the workout, make sure that you never anchor your legs and do not strain your neck by tucking it in.
Also known as wall squats, this exercise works wonders for your thighs and hip muscles as well as for getting that toned stomach, you have always wanted. These are great way to build core strength and test your muscle endurance.
- Stand up straight with your head and back pressed against the wall. Position your legs a few inches away from the wall, and your feet shoulder-width apart. Keep your arms by your sides.
- Engage your abdominal muscles and lower your body and slide down the wall into a squat position with your legs at a right angle, your thighs parallel to the ground and your knees right above your ankles.
- Keep your back flat against the wall and hold this position for 25-30 seconds. Gradually, as you build your strength and fitness, try to work up to 1 minute.
- Slowly get up to the starting position. Rest for a while and repeat the exercise.
One of the simpler exercises which does not require any gym equipment but only your will power to go through multiple rounds of it. A ten minute of doing banded walk can be a good start to getting that toned mid section and burning calories deposited in your body due to unhealthy eating habits especially in this lockdown. Using a resistance band to keep tension on your hips, it strengthens your hips and glutes.
- Start by choosing a wide exercise band with enough resistance to challenge your lower body.
- Place the exercise band around your ankles. Lower your body while bending your knees slightly, and widening your stance.
- Walk to your right side without letting your feet touch, as if walking in the air.
- Now change legs and repeat with the other. Take 10 steps in one direction and then 10 steps back to your starting point.
This works on your butts and outer thighs, a really simple yet effective exercise.
- Stand by placing your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart.
- With your body tall, core engaged, hands clasped in front of chest and eyes facing forward, take a large step to the right and squat down.
- Cast down your body until the right thigh is parallel to the floor and your left leg is straight but not locked.
- Step right foot next to left, and return to the original position.
- Continue doing this, alternating sides, 10-12 times for best results and increase the time as you develop stamina and endurance.
For that beach body you gotta sweat a little, and though this one is easy to look at, it can be very tiring after a round. This one just requires very little space and no heavy equipment or machines at all.
- Lie comfortable on your back on the ground.
- Place your arms by your sides (palms down), legs raised, and hips and knees bent at a right angle so that your lower legs are parallel to the floor.
- Next, lift your head and shoulders off the mat, and keep your neck flexible.
- Start pedaling your legs, keeping them close to the ground and fully extending each leg as you kick.
- Continue doing it for 30-40 seconds before resting them down.
This exercise is extremely good at targeting multiple key areas of your body including glutes, hips, and core. This results in better hip mobility and flexibility, enabling you to perform more complex movements in this position. And hence help in getting desired beach body.
- Start by placing your hands and knees on the floor, in a quadruped position. Make sure your wrists are stacked directly beneath your shoulders and hips over the knees.
- Tighten your core with your navel looking down, back flat and your right leg bent at 90 degrees.
- Now lit your left leg out to your right side, keeping your knee at 90 degrees.
- Lower your leg and return to start. This completes 1 rep. Continue doing this for a minute, for results that will show on your tummy, lower back and abs.
This relatively easy and fun abdominal workout is specifically designed to train the core region and deliver muscle-shredding results in every muscle of your abs and hips. After all, toned abs that are visible while you are there on a beach can leave those around you awestruck. This exercise will firm up your hips and give you a stronger, flatter belly.
- Just lay straight on the ground, with your knees bent, arms extended by your sides and heels roughly half a feet above the ground.
- Now, as you inhale try to draw your belly button toward your spine
- While you exhale, rise up into a bridge position. Hold your breath if you can or continue breathing normally as you hold the bridge for 5-10 seconds, focusing on keeping your weight evenly distributed between your feet and toes.
- Gently exhale as you lower back to center, lowering your spine one vertebrae at a time.
- Return to start by lying on the ground and continue for about a minute.
Your beach body is calling you; sweat it out following these simple yet effective exercises rigorously to burn that fat and get your body back in shape. These exercises are all designed to target your core, giving you that amazingly flat abs that you desire! And the fact that you can do these without any additional gym equipment makes them best home exercises. Most of these just require enough space and your willingness to achieve that beach body that you have been day dreaming of. Start these exercises right away, and feel the change in your body. But remember to continue these exercises on a daily or an alternative basis for the best and toned body. Apart from this, eating healthy, running/jogging and stretching after your tiring hours of work is also helpful when it comes to achieving a beach body figure and maintaining it, which is more important!
Stay Fit! Stay Healthy!
Latest posts by Aayushi Kasliwal (see all)
- Best Yoga Poses to Increase Breast Size – Breast Enlargement - July 8, 2020
- 10 Best Yoga Poses for Women to Boost Fertility - June 21, 2020
- 10 Best Home Exercises To Get a Beach Body - June 15, 2020