They say that when a child is born, a mother is born too. I kind of disagree with this saying. To me a mother is born 9 months earlier. The moment your pregnancy test comes positive, it’s not about you anymore. Just in those few moments your own health takes a back seat and all your concerns get diverted to the little life that breathes inside you. Consequently, many of us don’t take timely precautions about the various changes that our body goes through during the course of pregnancy. Occurrence of stretch marks is one such change.
As you proceed towards the last trimester in your pregnancy, many fine lines start appearing on your belly, buttocks, thighs and breast. These lines are known as stretch march as they are caused by the tearing of the dermis, in effect of the rapid weight gain. Stretch marks become more prominent once you start losing weight post delivery and leave many of us in despair, as we feel it is too late to get rid of them. Guess what ladies, you are wrong.
Cosmetic industry now days, is flooded with products and treatments, that claim to eliminate stretch marks completely; but despite being painful and costly, many of them are not effective at all. So here we enlist a few proven natural home remedies that may help you to eradicate these seemingly permanent marks.
- Oil treatments: Regular oil massages on your body is a tried and tested way of reducing stretch marks. The prime objective is to moisturize the skin thoroughly and promote collagen growth to get rid of these marks. All you need to do is, massage the stretch marks affected area of your body with natural oils in circular motions. You may reapply them many times a day to speed up the fading process. Extra virgin olive oil works best for stretch marks as it has a high content of anti-oxidants. Other natural oils like almond oil, castor oil, flaxseed oil and coconut oil can also serve the cause. Some essential oils like lemon essential oil, calendula and carrot seed are found to be equally effective for the treatment of these unwanted marks.
- Aloe Vera: Well known for its skin benefits, Aloe-Vera can be used as an effective home remedy for stretch marks too. Make a mixture of Aloe Vera gel with the oils of Vitamin A & Vitamin E capsules. Apply this mixture on your stretch marks and keep massaging until it gets fully absorbed into the skin. Repeat this daily to get your desired results.
- Egg White: Egg white works wonderfully in firming and toning our skin. Clean the affected area and cover it with a thick layer of whisked egg white. Allow it to dry completely and then rinse it off with cold water. Repeat this daily and within a few weeks you can see your stretch marks fading away. This method is less used because one might have to apply it over breast and have to breastfeed the baby as well.
- Coconut water: Green coconut water works wonderfully in erasing all kind of spots and marks from the skin including stretch marks. Apply fresh coconut water generously on your skin where you have stretch marks and let it dry completely. Thereafter without removing the coconut water, apply a heavy moisturizer (like aloe vera gel or shea butter) on your stretch marks. You may repeat this treatment several times a day to eliminate your marks faster.
- Potato Juice: This may surprise you a little bit, but potato juice is the cheapest topical treatment you can opt for, to remove your stretch marks. Rub potato slices on affected area of your skin and allow it to dry. Wash off with lukewarm water afterwards. Polyphenols, phytochemicals and carotenoids in potatoes facilitate faster growth and regeneration of skin cells and thus help in fading away those pregnancy scars.
- Sugar scrubs: Natural white sugar exfoliates your skin and stimulates the skin regeneration process. This helps in getting rid of those stubborn stretch marks too. You may easily make a sugar scrub by mixing granulated sugar with almond oil and lemon juice. Alternatively, you can mix milk, cucumber juice, lemon juice and sugar. Take a good amount of these scrubs and rub on the affected skin area in circular motions for 10-15 minutes. Incorporating this into your daily bathing routine can make your stretch marks lighter within a span of few weeks. Don’t forget to follow this with a heavy dose of moisturizer.
- Turmeric and Sandalwood Mask: Both of these ingredients are renowned for their skin brightening properties and they are beneficial in reducing stretch marks too. Make a paste of turmeric, sandalwood and water and apply it on your stretch marks. Allow it to dry partially and then scrub it away in circular motion until it comes off on its own. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water. Repeat it once every day and soon you will notice those annoying marks fading out.
- Honey and Lemon: Take organic raw honey (preferably manuka honey) and squeeze a few drops of lemon into it. Apply this mixture on the affected area of your skin. Let it stand for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. The antibacterial properties of honey along with acidic nature of lemon will boost collagen production and enhance the elasticity of the skin, which in turn results in disappearance of stretch marks.
- Shea butter: Applying raw Shea butter topically is the easiest thing you may do to fade out your stretch marks. Massage it on your skin daily after the shower and before going to bed at night. It not only proves to be an effective treatment for stretch marks; but it lends you a good fragrance too.
- Fruit punch: Fruits like apricot and avocado can also be used as effective home remedy for stretch marks. Blend these fruits to form a paste and apply it over the affected area. Let it dry completely and then rinse it off with warm water. Orange juice can be applied in the same way to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
In the end, do remember that it is not possible to eliminate stretch marks instantly or completely. All of these natural remedies are effective in their own way but they will give you the desired results with time. However, unlike cosmetic products and surgical treatments, these natural cures are soft on your skin, light on your pocket and come with proven results. So don’t panic, rather fight off these battle scars with wisdom and patience.
A full time work from home mother, she utilises her spare time to contribute insightful articles around day to day lifestyle challenges and their remedies, that all can relate to. Trust Aafiya to provide apt advice on diet mechanism, nutritional facts and common home remedies.
Away from writing, Aafiya is statistics post graduate, has worked earlier in the field of Research & Education and loves travelling.
Latest posts by Aafiya Siddiqui (see all)
- 10 Best Yoga Gastric Issue and Constipation - November 20, 2017
- 20 Herbal Beauty Tips for Glowing Smooth Skin - October 30, 2017
- 9 Best Yoga Exercises Pregnancy Care, Prenatal Yoga Tips - October 29, 2017