Interventions on the brain require special skills and caution from surgeons because every millimeter of brain tissue is vital. Specialists need to destroy a pathological formation and spare surrounding healthy tissues at the same time.
Interventions on the brain require special skills and caution from surgeons, because every millimeter of brain tissue is vital. Specialists need to destroy a pathological formation and spare surrounding healthy tissues the same time. Radiosurgery is a suitable option for patients with neoplasms, aneurysms or vascular malformations in the functionally significant brain zones, when damaging healthy cerebral tissue can lead to neurological deficit. It is connected with fewer side effects and safer when compared to the conventional interventions.
When Gamma knife application is the most beneficial
Choosing eligible for the intervention patients is essential as it guarantees beneficial treatment results. Indications include such pathologies:
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) located in the hard-to-reach brain and spinal cord regions.
- Vascular brain tumors (e.g. hemangioma, hemangioblastoma).
- Tumor of pituitary gland (pituitary adenoma) and other benign brain tumors.
- Malignant brain tumors (e.g. glial tumors, melanoma).
- Metastases of other malignancies in the brain.
- Metastases of other malignancies in the head and neck region.
- Neuromas of the facial and acoustic nerves.
- Trigeminal neuralgia and other functional nerve disorders.
- Spinal neuromas.
Gamma knife is often used for the metastatic brain cancer treatment in Germany. This is the only intervention that allows precise metastases destroying with relatively low risks of neurologic complications.
Other potential field of application is therapy of the essential tremor by means of radiofrequency thalamotomy. This can also be beneficial for patients with Parkinson’s disease and traumatic brain injury.
Advantages of Gamma knife surgery
Radiosurgery attracts patients due to the following significant advantages:
- No need in skull opening or even performing general anesthesia. This leads to minimal trauma and complications risks.
- Localization of the pathologic formation is determined by high-precision MRI. Thus, irradiation of the healthy cerebral tissue is minimal.
- In addition, lower dose of irradiation is required due to the precise targeting of the beam.
- Preserving or restoring nerve function in patients with nerve neoplasms, e.g. preserving face sensitivity in patients with the facial nerve affection.
- No need in interrupting systemic medications intake, which is crucial for patients with severe concomitant pathology.
- Single-session treatment, which can often be outpatient.
- Absent or mild pain syndrome in the post-procedure period.
Where a patient can undergo Gamma knife treatment
Systems for the Gamma knife procedure are available only in the best hospitals worldwide as such equipment is high-value, requires special service and training of personnel. Germany was the first country in Europe that has implemented this method into the clinical practice. Thus, it is not surprising that the most famous and successful Gamma knife centers are located here now. These are:
- Gamma Knife and Radiotherapy Center Krefeld.
- Gamma Knife and Radiotherapy Center Hannover.
- Gamma Knife Center in the University Hospital RWTH Aachen.
In case you are a foreign patient, undergoing Gamma knife surgery in Germany will be more convenient with assistance of Booking Health. Booking Health is the certified medical tourism operator that facilitates undergoing surgery in Germany for patients from 75 countries.
Booking Health specialists assist in choosing the healthcare facility, booking the urgent appointment, communication with doctors, and medical reports translation. In addition, independent healthcare professionals of the company will monitor all stages of diagnostic and therapeutic programs. Financial specialists will control treatment cost and check each line in the final calculation. Support specialists will be in touch with you 24/7.
Latest posts by Dr. Amanda (see all)
- Are You Eligible for Workers Compensation? - March 8, 2021
- Health Benefits of Quitting Smoking : For Those Who Wants to Quit Smoking - January 7, 2021
- Death of Michael Ojo and Physical Fitness for Athletes: How to Take Care of Yourself. - November 18, 2020