Different Types of Ayurveda Massage Therapy
Shirodhara Ayurveda Head Massage
If we break the term “shirodhara”, it gives 2 different terms -“shiro” and dhara, where Shiro means head and dhara means flow. So the name specifies that this therapy is related to something flow over head. It is an ancient ayurvedic massage therapy which is practiced in India and many other parts of north east asia for about 5000 or more years. This unique ayurvedic massage therapy is actually meant to bring balance between physical and emotional health in the body.
The method of treatment is simple and consist of dripping of oil to the forehead or third eye for a defined or consistent period of time. It is a very effective treatment for relieving both types of mental stress and nervous tension. So one can try this therapy and get the multiple benefits which helps in ultimately relieving tension from the body.
Is described by Ayurveda, this therapy acts on the mental layer or “Manomaya Kosha”. The past incidents, memories and impressions are held here (in this part of the mind) and this mental layer is responsible for creating troubled or mixed emotions and habitual imbalances or pattern of behavior which ultimately leads to wrong decision making skills, frequent temper loss etc.
This combination of ayurvedic treatment of Shirodhara (forehead oil flow) Mukha & Shiro Abhyanga (face & head massage) is particularly beneficial for any problems of nervous, digestive and reproductive system. A human’s face, head, neck and upper chest regions consists of many acupressure points correlating to the reproductive and digestive systems.
This is a calming and detoxifying treatment that uses pure Ayurvedic oil / cream, botanical extracts and herbs working on specific energy points (Marma Points) to help restore balance, relax and relieve stress lines.
Shiroabhyanga and its multiple health benefits
- It is a mental and emotional balancing, mind and soul relaxation therapy.
- Insomnia and schizophrenia patients are treated with this.
- It is really good for diseases which are related to the head, neck, eyes, ears, nose and throat.
- Gives firmness to the body by stimulating the nervous system.
- Highly useful for many diseases of the nervous system like nerve disorder, facial palsy, paralysis and drooping of eyelids.
- This Ayurvedic massage therapy helps in strengthening the neck and head muscles.
- Reduces headache and burning sensation of the head.
- Revitalize the pituitary glands and cools the body.
- Lymph-flow of the face, neck, arms and upper chest areas
- Calms down nervous system bringing a deepest state of relaxation
- Removes mental stress, anxieties and depression
- Treats Chronic neuro-musculoskeletal disorders
- It Reduces Hypertension
- Treats headaches and insomnia
- Relaxes face muscles, thereby promoting the regeneration of healthy looking skin
- Removes dandruff, premature graying and hair loss
- Simultaneously healing reproductive system
- This Ayurvedic massage therapy also improves digestion and health of the skin.
- Brings you spiritual awakening and increases intuition.
- Controls mood swings and depression.
- It helps in rejuvenating your face and also helps in removing the worry lines on the face.
- The quality of voice is also improved with relax mind and soul.
>> The specialized forms of shirodhara are the tailadhara, ksheeradhara, takradhara and jaladhara.
Pinda sweda Ayurvedic Therapy
This is a very common Ayurvedic massage therapy. Pinda sweda is a refreshing and exhilarating ayurvedic massage therapy that is based on proper massaging the whole body with hot (not too hot) cotton bags. These bags are not normal cotton bags, but are made up from a combination of herbal leaves, rice (boiled in medicated milk), sand or medical herbs or powder, which are carefully chosen according to one’s dosha. The body perspires or sweat, thus allowing the heat and herbal medication to penetrate deep into the skin. This is one of the treatments commonly used in India to relieve muscular pain and also to strengthen body tissues. Pinda Sweda is practiced for many other reasons as well, like for arthritis, gout, paralysis, spondylosis, sciatica and other vata diseases.
- Lightness of the body;
- Reduced pain and stiffness;
- Better mobility of joints.
Ayurveda Face Massage Therapy
Ayurvedic face massage which is carried out by applying various types of herbal creams is really an effective face therapy for getting good shinning beautiful skin and face posture. It is a type of natural herbal cosmetic that helps in looking beautiful and refreshing. It is a rejuvenating and deep effective therapy. Common herbal creams used to carry out this face therapy are coconut or olive massage oils, honey or herbal liquids, such as pure Aloe Vera. During this therapy, herbal solution is applied. After that massage is done by giving pressure to specific pressure points on the face.
Benefits of the face massage:
1. More relaxed muscles and tissues of face and neck.
2. Improved appearance of skin on the forehead, eyes, nose and mouth.
3. Healthy glowing skin and reduced puffiness.
4. You will notice reduction in various problems like allergies, eye strains, jaw tension, headache, muscle stress or pain, insomnia and many other head or face related issues.
Neck & shoulder massage
In Ayurvedic medicine, neck and shoulders is important as a place that connects body with the head. Moreover your neck & shoulder have to be strong because they are responsible for picking up lots of tough load. They should posses great strength. It is known that neck is the passage for all the arteries and veins which supply oxygen and blood to the brain.
Pain in the neck can be due to multiple reasons. It can be due to wrong posture while sleeping, sudden jerk or may be due to an injury. It can be a mechanical or a muscular problem. Neck pain may be a rapped nerve which pains due to displacement with internal injury. Hence, these ayurvedic neck & shoulder massage can bring such an ease and relaxation to neck pains.
Multiple Benefits of neck and shoulder ayurvedic massage therapy are:
- Most importantly it reduces neck and muscle pain, headache and tiredness;
- Helps in Lubrication of joints with proper oil;
- Reduces tenderness and provides relaxation;
- Increases blood circulation through out the upper body.
As the name suggests, this involves the procedure of pouring a carefully controlled stream of different herbal mixture containing warm liquids (medicated oil or medicated milk) over the different body parts of the patient along with giving a ayurvedic massage therapy at those locations. When the process is being performed, the person is lying in a specially designed bed. The type of treatment ones wants leads to the decision of which liquids to be used. Sometimes the liquids are picked according to one’s dosha or the type of the disease.
Benefits of Sarwangadhara:
- Rejuvenates/refreshes the entire nervous system and skin;
- Helps in Strengthening the body;
- Gives relaxation and inner balance;
- It helps in Improving digestion;
- Makes the body lighter;
- Enhances sexual vigor;
- Cures vata doshas disease, muscular ache and dystrophy, rheumatism, osteoarthritis, insomnia and depression.
Gandusha (Medicated gargle)
This is an Ayurvedic technique which involves swishing medicated oil or decoction/gargling into the mouth. It is helpful for migraine, headache, oral ache, facial paralysis, women hormonal disorders.
Ayurvedic Way of Staying Healthy and Fit.
Keep following us for more such Ayurvedic Tips & Massage Therapy
Latest posts by Anurag Ajmera (see all)
- 8 Magics of Wine: Health Benefits of Drinking Wine Occasionally - June 17, 2020
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Raisins – Little Gems Kishmish - June 8, 2020
- 11 Reasons Why Bell Peppers are Healthy Veggie - June 8, 2020