Last Updated on June 6th, 2020
Gur (jaggery) is a natural product of sugarcane. It is in more unrefined form than sugar. It is a brown raw mass of sucrose which gets it color because of other elements found in concentration such as wood ash and bagasse. Gur is mainly for human consumption, and is used in making sweet items. It is also consumed in raw form. Jaggery is also used in making alcoholic drinks and AyurVedic medicines. Jaggery (gur) is majorly used in the food processing industry for confectionery items, toffees, chocolates etc.
Jaggery (gur) adds zero calories to our body and has many health benefits including good digestion. Here are some health benefits of gur (jaggery), which can help one realize the importance of this sweetener in our daily routine.
- Improves Digestion: My granny used to give me Gur after meals and I being a child loved it. Eating Gur (jaggery) after meals is still followed in many Indian homes. Actually, the reason behind it is, Gur (jaggery) helps prevent and relieveconstipation by stimulating bowel movements. It activates the digestive enzymes in our body and thus helps in proper digestion of your food.
- Increases Blood Hemoglobin: Gur (jaggery) is an excellent source of iron, a mineral that plays a key role in the production of hemoglobin. Hence, adding jaggery to our food preparations or eating a small amount of jaggery can actually fulfill our daily requirement of iron. It helps in enhancing total blood hemoglobin count and boosts immunity thus prevents from many blood related problems and disorders.
- Can avoid PMS: Some experience sudden mood swings just before periods. Eating a small piece of gur (jiggery) daily can combat these symptoms of PMS (premenstrual syndrome). These mood swings are due to fluctuating levels of hormones in our body; jaggery causes the release of endorphins aka happy hormones. This in turn relaxes body and makes one feel good thereby preventing from premenstrual syndrome.
- Natural Blood purifier: It helps in purifying whole blood if regularly consumed.
- Energy Booster: It is a source of instant energy thus prevents from weakness and tiredness.
- Glowing Skin: Its richness in the vitamins and minerals makes it able to nourish the whole body especially skin. It provides skin smooth, healthy, hydrated and glowing look. It makes skin free of wrinkles and spots free by curing problems of pimple and acne.
- Weight Loss: Its high level minerals content especially high potassium level helps in managing weight by reducing the extra water retention in the body. Potassium helps maintaining the electrolyte balance, building muscles as well as improving metabolism thus aids in weight loss.
- Good for Hair: It is considered that applying the paste of jaggery, fuller’s earth and curd on the scalp twice a month before shampooing makes hair naturally beautiful and long.
- Body temperature: Jaggery (gur) controls the temperature of the body. It has anti-allergic ingredients so it is quite beneficial for asthma patients. By consuming jaggery regularly, you can prevent many respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, etc. Experts recommend taking this natural sweetener with sesame seeds for wonderful benefits for the respiratory system. Jaggery (gur) is known for its ability to naturally treat a cough and cold effectively. It also works well for migraines and headaches.
- Relief in joint pain: Take a piece of ginger with jaggery (gur). It will help to combat the problem of arthritis in the winter.
- Improves the Urinary Flow: Jaggery (gur) is an effective kitchen ingredient to cure all urinary related problems. It proves beneficial not only for those who urinate less but also for those who suffer from frequent urination. Regular consumption of a mixture of clarified butter, jaggery, and Indian gooseberry powder can uproot this discomfort.
- Hiccups: Jaggery (gur) has certain properties which ease the problem of hiccups. One just needs to take it in the grated form with some ginger. Drink warm water after having the mixture.
We hope that all of you are going to take full advantage of this information. But excess of everything is dangerous, so be careful. And people with diabetes should avoid it.
EAT HEALTHY STAY HEALTHY
Love to read books and travelling.
Latest posts by Abhilasha Ajmera (see all)
- Heart-Leaved Moonseed, Guduchi or Giloy’s Uses & Natural Benefits for Health - April 10, 2017
- Zumba or Dance Workout – Fun Workout, Best Fitness Mantra - August 7, 2016
- Back Pain Solutions, Effective Remedies to Get Rid of Backache - September 23, 2015