Herbal Beauty Tips
Have you gone through sleepless nights after a tiny pimple surfaced on your cheek? I’m sure it can get on your nerves compelling you to try out every single cosmetic product available in the market and phew!! There are so many of them. To be honest, the entire cosmetic industry is cashing in on our desire of having a flawless and glowing skin. You may get a temporary solution to your skin problems from these chemically loaded beauty products but in the long run they cause serious damage to your skin. Many people opt for herbal products, which are again often made up of synthetic ingredients and don’t live up to your expectations. Trust me, you can get them easily on your kitchen counter and paying a hefty price doesn’t really make sense.
The amazing thing about herbs is that they can be applied as a topical treatment and also be consumed to treat the skin issues from within. Here we are compiling various herbal home remedies that include both kinds of herbal treatments. So without any further ado let’s get started. 😉
Diet for Glowing skin
No topical treatments will work for you until you complement them with a healthy diet. As much as we know that we should avoid unhealthy, spicy and junk food, it’s imperative that we also include few herbal food items into our diet to get that flawless and glowing skin; because ultimately what you eat shows up on your face.
- Cucumber: Take a glass of cucumber juice every day. The perfect combination of water and silica in cucumbers can keep your skin hydrated and glowing.
- Beetroot juice is enriched with various essential minerals like iron, potassium, niacin, copper and vitamin C, calcium, manganese, magnesium, zinc and folic acid. It cleanses the liver and thus saves you from skin problems, leaving you with a radiant glow.
- Ginger: Adding a little amount of ginger juice to your favourite fruit juices or in your tea will provide minerals, anti inflammatory benefits and antioxidants that keep your skin young and healthy.
- Pomegranate is another fruit that may act as a powerful remedy for your skin. You may munch on it as a mid day snack or enjoy its juice as a drink to get its anti ageing and healing benefits on your skin. It also increases the blood flow which keeps you young, radiant and glowing.
Other herbal beverages
- Green tea also has potent flavonoids to revive the damaged skin and to prevent the signs of ageing. Serve yourself a cup of green tea everyday to promote the production of healthy new skin cells.
- Turmeric milk: This golden potion is an age old remedy for all your skin troubles. You must have heard your mom advocating its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. It can also work as a liver-detoxifier and help you to fight all kind of skin infections, fine lines, wrinkles, and various skin breakouts. So take it regularly to attain clear, healthy and glowing skin.
- Holy basil/ ocimum Tenuiflorum: enriched with natural antioxidant, this powerful herb from Ayurveda is renowned for its antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anti-ageing and detoxifying properties. It helps in diminishing blemishes and also facilitates better digestion which ultimately shows up on your skin. You may add a few leaves of basil into your tea or can chew them straight away.
- Neem/ Azadirachta indica: Another medicinal herb that is celebrated over generations for its benefits albeit its pungent taste. Just 2 -3 spoons of fresh juice extracted from its leaves can work as a wonderful blood purifier, if taken on an empty stomach. Its antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, astringent and cooling properties further saves you against all kind of skin troubles.
- Aloe-vera: It is a perfect antidote to most of your skin problems. You may include 10-20 ml of aloe-vera juice in your daily diet or apply the aloe juice/gel on the problem areas of your skin. It promotes collagen production and protects the skin from harmful UV rays. Also, it nourishes hydrates and soothes the skin, giving you a healthy glow.
- Coconut water: The skin benefits of coconut water are no secret. It not only reduces the appearance of dark spots, blemishes & scars but also keeps your skin hydrated. Enjoy it as your drink or apply it directly on your face, to enjoy all wonders it can do on your skin.
With a few simple ingredients available in every kitchen and a little effort, a wide variety of herbal products for personal care can be made without spending an extra penny.
- Turmeric, milk & gram flour scrub: Mix all these ingredients in milk to form a thick paste and apply it all over your face. When you start to feel the stretch on your skin, start massaging in clockwise and anti clockwise directions and continue till it comes off completely. Regular use of this scrub will keep your skin clean from impurities, evens out your skin tone and will give you soft, silky and radiant skin.
- Papaya pack: Blend a ripe papaya (just a few pieces) and sugar (2-3 spoons) to a smooth paste. Massage your face with this paste for 5 minutes, leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash off with water. The goodness of papaya nourishes your skin, refines the pores, reduces the appearance of dark spots and keeps you gleaming.
- Sandalwood & saffron pack: Take 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder; add few strands of saffron, a drop of rose oil and just enough water to make a thick paste out of this mixture. Apply it on your face and let it dry. Scrub it off thereafter and rinse with cold water. This pack is perfect remedy for dark spots, blemishes and pigmentation. It can be applied daily to improve the complexion and texture of the skin.
- Green tea : Put 2 tea bags of green tea in a cup of hot water, cover and let it infuse for about 8-10 minutes. Remove the tea bags and collect the water in a bottle. Further add 1 cup of aloe juice to this water and shake vigorously to mix them well. You may apply it as a facial serum on clean face at night.
- Rosewater, glycerine & lemon: Another amazing herbal solution that can work wonderfully as a face serum. Mix equal parts of rose water & glycerine with 1/3rd part of lemon juice and apply it regularly on your face, preferably before bedtime. This simple home remedy will keep your skin hydrated, maintain its ph balance, protect it against infections and give you unblemished and healthy skin.
- Tomato juice: Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, can work as natural bleach and have strong astringent and cooling properties; which make it wonderful remedy for healthy and radiant skin. Drink tomato juice regularly and also apply it externally to enjoy the numerous skin benefits this juice has to offer. Combine it with curd and honey to make an easy face pack to get a brighter and fairer skin tone. Apply this pack evenly on your face and wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Fuller’s earth: The excellent cleansing components and richness in minerals of fuller’s earth will help you attain that flawless and glowing complexion naturally. You may make a paste by mixing fuller’s earth with rose water or with milk & honey or with lemon juice (depending on your skin type) and apply it as a face pack. It is most recommended home remedy for acne prone skin.
- Orange/ lemon peel: Mixing dried and powdered orange/ lemon peels with honey and using it as face pack can light up your skin in just a few weeks. This citric product is natural bleach and a potent disinfectant with a high content of the powerful antioxidant, vitamin C. Combining it with honey provides the proper amount of hydration to the skin, as well. It is an easy and time tested remedy to get fairer complexion and to increase the elasticity of the skin.
- Egg: Egg can be used to make face pack for firmer and brighter skin. Whisk an egg, add 1-2 drops of lavender oil into it and apply it on your face. Once it dries off completely; rinse thoroughly with fresh water.
- Oils: massaging with natural oils is another way to bring shine to your face and to revive the damaged skin. It enhances collagen production and keeps the skin moist. Natural oils like Argon oil, coconut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil and essential oils like lavender oil, tea tree oil, rose hip seed oil are perfect to get soft, supple and lustrous skin.
The best thing about herbal home remedies is that they are skin friendly and cost effective.
You may try all of them one by one, to find out which one works best on your skin and don’t forget to let us now in the comment section below.
A full time work from home mother, she utilises her spare time to contribute insightful articles around day to day lifestyle challenges and their remedies, that all can relate to. Trust Aafiya to provide apt advice on diet mechanism, nutritional facts and common home remedies.
Away from writing, Aafiya is statistics post graduate, has worked earlier in the field of Research & Education and loves travelling.
Latest posts by Aafiya Siddiqui (see all)
- 10 Best Yoga for Diabetes Control, You Must Exercise - January 26, 2018
- 10 Best Yoga Gastric Issue and Constipation - November 20, 2017
- 20 Herbal Beauty Tips for Glowing Smooth Skin - October 30, 2017