Last Updated on December 21st, 2020
We come across so many skin diseases like acne, hives, eczema and more. Blackheads is also one of them which is another form of acne. People with oily skin have more tendency to get blackheads. In this article we will cover everything about blackheads, what they are, what do they look like and where do they occur. And most importantly we will focus on natural remedies that can help in removing blackheads.
There are small bumps which appear on skin due to clogging of combination of excess oil and dead skin cells from the sebaceous glands, in other words, when a hair follicle (pore) is filled with oil. These bumps are known as blackheads due to the surface looks black or dark. It mainly appears on T-zone of the face which is forehead, nose and chin. It can also appear on other parts of the body including arms, chest, shoulders and back.
Causes of blackheads
Here are some of the factors which can increase the possibility of developing blackheads
- One of the main reasons of blackheads is hormone fluctuation. The changes in hormones which are linked to pregnancy, menstruation and the use of birth control tablets can also increase the possibility of blackheads in women.
- Sebum production is increased during puberty which also causes Acne and blackheads.
- Heavy sweating
- High humidity level in the environment
- Use of cosmetics and cloth covers which can block your pose may cause blackheads.
- There are some other health conditions which increase the chance of blackheads such as premenstrual syndrome (PMS), ovarian syndrome, stress and many more. Blackheads worsens before or during menstruation.
- Use of steroids for health and fitness can be a factor.
- These can be genetic as well.
Symptoms of blackheads
As this is the most common skin problem, we don’t need to read about the symptoms but here are few to distinguish it from other acne and pimples.
- These are not painful and appear as a pustules and pimples.
- Have a raised texture, but are flatter than the pimples
- They are dark spots with open pores at the center.
- Appear as a small dark lesion due to dead skin cells.
2 basic things that will definitely help in removing blackheads are:
- Wash your face: to control the oil on your skin, you should wash your face and not just with the water but some high-quality product.
- Exfoliate: Scrubbing is very important. It not only removes all the dead skin cells but also prevents clogging.
10 natural remedies to prevent blackheads
While regular face wash is important, we have few tips/home -made products which will not only help in removing blackheads but also make your skin glow.
- Egg white and honey – One of the best ways to cure blackheads. Egg tightens the pores and honey nourishes your skin. Follow the procedure once or twice a week.
- Apply mixture of 1 egg white and 1 tbsp honey on the face.
- Leave it until the skin starts to feel tight and dry.
- Rinse off the mask with warm water and pat it dry.
- Tea tree oil – This oil has anti-comedogenic properties and thus prevents blackheads. Apply the tea tree oil directly on the affected area of the face and other parts of the body. This will kill bacteria on the affected areas which will helps in removing blackheads. Tea tree oil is a major ingredient of many beauty products these days like soap,creams, foundations etc.. Different products like creams and soaps contain this tea tree oil. It is also available in form of essential oil.
- Green tea – green tea is rich in antioxidants and therefore lowers the oil production. This can also be used once or twice a week.
- Mix 1 tbsp of green tea with water to make a paste
- Apply this paste on affected areas and leave for 15-20 minutes until its completely dry.
- Rinse off with warm water and pat it dry.
- Cornstarch and vinegar – Cornstarch absorbs the surplus oil whereas the vinegar is used for fading the discoloration caused by the blackheads. Steps to use it:
- Get one spoon of cornstarch and mix it with vinegar until the mixture forms a thick paste.
- Apply on the affected area and leave for 15 to 20 minutes until its dry.
- Rinse off with the use of warm water and followed by cold water or an ice cube for closing the pores.
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice helps in removing dead skin cells and being a natural astringent, it also helps in getting rid of blackheads. Note, lemon can make your skin dry, so if you already have a dry skin, add few drops of olive oil to lemon juice and use moisturizer after rinsing it off. Steps to use this remedy for removing blackheads are
- Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected area with the help of cotton to clean the skin before going to sleep at night.
- You can leave this whole night and rinse off with warm water in the morning.
- Repeat this process every night for a week for good results.
- Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking soda) – A baking soda or powder scrub is one of the simplest as well as effective ways for the treatment of blackheads. It is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. It also brightens the skin. You can use this remedy daily. Below are the steps:
- Add a few drops of water with baking soda and gently massage it on the affected area.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Aloe Vera – It is a well-known moisturizer. Aloe vera also contains zinc that helps in tightening the pores and saponins that cleanse the skin. These properties can help in removing the existing blackheads and also prevent the new ones from coming up. Use this remedy daily for better results. Simple steps to use this are:
- Apply aloe vera gel ( freshly extracted is preferred) to affected areas.
- Leave it overnight and rinse it off in the morning.
- Salt and Toothpaste – This natural remedy is an inexpensive as well as useful way to prevent the problem of blackheads. The antiseptic abilities of the salt helps in exfoliating the skin and makes it free from dead cells.
- Applying toothpaste on the affected areas, cleanses the pores by drawing out blackheads.
- The mint present in the toothpaste helps in opening the pores of the skin which eliminates bacteria.
- Steam Facial – Steaming the face is one of the most effective and easy ways for removing blackheads. This remedy of steam softens the skin and make easy in opening the pores of the skin which prevents the problem of blackheads.
- Turmeric – It has curcumin which is anti-bacterial and helps in cleansing the pores and removing blackheads. Due to its anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, turmeric helps in removing blackheads from face or other parts of the body. Follow these steps for this simple remedy and get relief from blackheads.
- Mix 1 tsp of turmeric powder with 1 tsp of water and make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your face and leave for 10 to 15 minutes until dry.
- Rinse if off with plain water.
Hope you find this article helpful. Let us know if you have any queries or any more tips to share.
Stay healthy! keep smiling!s
Latest posts by Dr. Amanda (see all)
- 4 Natural Remedies to Relieve Stress and Anxiety - June 20, 2022
- How Medical Tech Has Improved the Sustainability of Laboratories - June 17, 2022
- How to Get Rid of Acne? – Solutions to Acne Problems - June 6, 2022