Last Updated on September 10th, 2020
Talk about the health of our ancestors and compare it to ours and you would know how we are so unfit and susceptible to diseases. But even after such huge progress of medical science, why are we still so unfit?
The reason is simple; our ancestors relied on following a good lifestyle. Their day to day schedules consisted of performing various mudra for health and other asanas.
There are various mudra for health in Indian mythology. Each of them has its benefits. This article deals in detail with one such yoga mudra that can help do wonders when it comes to healing thyroid, various throat and voice problems, stammering, and also aids in increasing height.
Do you think you are suffering from any of the above? Then read further to know more about the mudras.
Let us dig into the details of Shankh Mudra. The below section talks about what it is, how to perform it, and the benefits of it.
What is Shankh Mudra?
Shankh Mudra is one of the various significant mudras of the Indian mythology. As the name suggests, the Shankh Mudra mimics the Shankh which is the shell or conch. Therefore, this yoga mudras is also referred to as the Sahaj Shankh Mudra or the Seashell Mudra.
The importance of Shankh in the Indian mythology or Indian culture is huge. This auspicious object when blown marks the beginning of an auspicious activity in the Hindu culture. Likewise, performing the Shankh Mudra also marks the beginning of good health in a human being.
Performing the Shankh Mudra and including it in the daily life activities leads to remove all the impurities of a person. This is both in terms of physical and spiritual impurities. It helps to put light in the temples of our mind causing it to shine.
How Does it Work?
The Hindu mythology states that the five fingers of our hands are a representation of five essential elements. These elements are Prithvi, Agni, Jala, Vayu, and Akasha. These are said to directly affect the human body. It is said that when the thumb of a hand touches the four fingers of the other hand it creates a balance in the body. It helps to stimulate the navel (known as Nabhi) and various glands that are around and behind the neck.
Along with this, performing the Shankh Mudra daily can also have various positive impacts on the health of an individual, like:
- It helps to purify the respiratory systems.
- It helps to calm the mind of a person.
- Helps to spread the feeling of positivism and peacefulness.
How to do the Shankh Mudra?
Now that we are aware of the reasons for why you must perform the Shankh Mudra the next step is to know in the details the way to perform the mudras. The steps to perform the Shankha Mudra are easy. The steps are:
- Take a carpet, preferably a mat on the floor.
- Sit in a lotus position. Keep your spine straight. Make sure you are comfortable.
- To ensure better concentration, keep your eyes closed.
- Start by being comfortable. Bring your hand close to your chest.
- Take even and deep breaths.
- Take your left thumb. Using all the four fingers of your right hand, encircle it. Ensure that your right thumb is free.
- Take your right thumb tip. Touch it with the middle finger of your left hand.
- Do not force your fingers to each other. Let the fingers gently rest.
- Once you do this ensure that your hands look like a shankh or a conch.
- Place your hands that now look like a conch in front of your chest.
- Chant ‘OM’ slowly. Concentrate on chanting it.
- For as long as you can, stay still and hold the yoga mudra. Keep your eyes closed. It could be for a minute or can range up to an hour. Depends on you.
- If you feel that your palms have started to ache, change the position of the Shankh or conch.
What are the Health Benefits of this Mudra?
In Indian mythology, the thumb is used as a representation of fire. Hence, mimicking the shell or the conch causes the thumb of a hand to surround the other hand’s four fingers. It is believed that this releases a series of strong air in the body of an individual.
Apart from this, performing the Shankh Mudra comes with a large set of health benefits. The below section mentions a few reasons to perform the Shankh mudra for health benefits.
- It helps to purify 72000 nerves of the body.
- It aids in increasing the height of children.
- Can Help to get rid of stammering problem.
- It improves digestion.
- Increases concentration and helps to calm the mind of a person.
- Performing this mudra works wonders for those who have had any paralysis attack or any other physical weakness.
- It helps to improve the quality of voice by toning the throat up. Hence, it is a great mudra for health that can be performed by singers or anyone else who needs to have a strong voice.
- Performing this mudra helps to get rid of various throat problems such as thyroid, sore throat, and tonsilitis amongst others.
- Helps to improve respiration.
- It also helps to heal various problems related to the skin such as rashes and allergies.
- Helps to reduce obesity.
- Increases the functioning of the heart, kidney, and intestines.
- Works great for asthma patients and helps to improve their condition.
- Performing this mudra for health daily helps to unclog the thyroid gland of a person.
Final Take Away
If you are looking forward to doing some easy mudras for health, then Shankh Mudra is the apt mudra for you. Performing this yoga mudra just for fifteen minutes a day can heal a person of various diseases.