There are various types of mudras in Yogic science, each having its own significance and health benefits.
According to this science, your body comprises five elements, water, space, fire, air, and earth. A balance of these elements is essential for the normal functioning of your body.
Out of all these elements, one element has no limit, which is the space element. It is dominant among all the five elements and does not allow other elements to grow.
So, can practicing a mudra help in controlling this element?
As you may have guessed, the answer is “Yes,” and it is through Shunya Mudra.
Let’s understand more about Shunya Mudra, how to do it, and its benefits.
Shunya Mudra decreases the space element and thus is also known as Akash (space) Shamak (decreases) Mudra.
In Sanskrit, Shunya means “zero” or “void,” and Mudra means “gesture.” Thus, the Mudra is also known as The Gesture of Emptiness.
Now, according to Ayurveda and Yogic science, our five fingers are associated with the five elements present in the body.
The middle finger is linked to space or sky, and thus this finger is involved while performing this Mudra.
How to Do It?
Basically, Shunya Mudra involves the use of your middle finger and thumb.
But before going to finger arrangement, you need to attend a pose. Let’s learn how exactly it can be done step by step.
- Sit comfortably in any posture, such as Vajrasana, Shukhasana, or Padmasana.
- Take deep breathes and keep your eyes closed to generate awareness. You can even choose to do this Mudra with eyes open, but closing eye aids in better self-consciousness.
- Curl your middle finger so that they touch the ball or base of your thumb.
- Now gently press your finger against the thumb.
- Try and keep the rest of your fingers as extended as possible.
- Now, retaining this arrangement, place the back of your hand on your knees.
When Should You Practice this Mudra?
Ideally, it is better to do this Mudra in the morning when you are most fresh and free from all stress and tension. Besides, there is the least noise and disturbance at night.
However, if you find it challenging to practice this Mudra in the morning, you can do it at any time.
The best part of the Mudra is that it can even be practiced with a full belly.
For optimal benefits, practice it for 20-30 minutes a day at a stretch. You can also do it for 15 minutes thrice a day.
A Word of Caution
Some precautions to follow while practicing Shunya Mudra are:
- Attain a comfortable posture. Do not stretch or stress yourself.
- Do not perform this Mudra if you are feeling weak.
- Discontinue after getting a cure form a particular ailment. Its excessive practice can reduce the space element in your body.
- Avoid wearing too tight or too loose clothes.
- Remove any watch, bracelet, or other ornaments.
- Practice in a sound-free environment. Noise may disrupt your concentration.
Benefits of Shunya Mudra
Some of the benefits are:
- Aids in managing deafness of ears and other ear disorders. It is a popular yoga practice for tinnitus.
- Helps people with tri-dosha.(More about it below)
- Reduces mental stress.
- Improves thyroid health. The decrease in space elements aids in maintaining hormonal balance and manages thyroid disorders.
- Helps in managing heart and throat disorders.
- Balances Vata constitution. (More about it below)
- Manages travel sickness and vertigo.
- Cures numbness in any part of the body. Numbness is mainly caused by poor blood circulation. Shunya Mudra improves your blood circulation and thus cures numbness.
- Strengthens will power.
Spiritual benefits are:
- Can help in hearing Anahata (mystic) sounds heard by yogis.
- Aids to stimulate the heart chakra
- Awakens intuition
Benefits in Ayurveda Doshas
Among the three doshas, Vatta, Pitta, Kapha, the space element is present in Vata dosa. With dominant Vata dosha, the space element also increases. So, Shunya Mudra aids in balancing the space element that is increased by Vata Dosha.
Besides, an increase in space element doesn’t allow any other element to increase in your body. This may result in tri-dosha and bi-dosha Prakriti.
As Shunya Mudra decreases the space element, it allows other elements to enter your body. It thus helps to cure tri-dosha and bi-dosha Prakriti.
All in all, Shunya Mudra aids in curing Ayurvedic Doshas.
Shunya Mudra helps in decreasing the space element in your body. It can thus help to manage disorders associated with an imbalance in the space element, especially ear disorders. Shunya Mudra also has spiritual benefits and can also cure Ayurvedic Doshas. However, it would be best if you stopped doing this yoga once it has cured a particular disorder. Doing it in excess can reduce the space element in your body.
Healthy Yoga, Healthy Mudra
Latest posts by Dr Kinjal Shah (see all)
- Premature Greying of Hair, Everything Answered in FAQs - August 31, 2020
- Postpartum Care – Healing Time for Mothers Post Pregnancy - August 22, 2020
- Avoid Pregnancy Complications for Healthy Baby; Trimester of Pregnancy - August 19, 2020