- The Ultimate Skincare Routine for Glowing Skin: Tips and Product Recommendations
- Recovery Techniques for Athletes: Optimizing Rest for Improved Performance
- An Essential Guide To Revamping Your Diet And Eating Habits
- The Science Behind Heated Tobacco Sticks: Understanding the Benefits and Risks
- The Secrets to Ageless Beauty: Unveiling the World of Facial Enhancements
Last Updated on December 21st, 2020
Premature greying of hair, called canities, is one of the most common concerns related to hair problems for people across the globe. While the definition of premature grey hair varies across regions, in most parts of the world, if you have greying of hair in your twenties, it is often looked down upon, and is certainly understood as premature. In fact, people are also known to experience grey hair or white hair even in their teenage and before. So if you have greying of hair or know someone who does, read on to find out the causes and some natural solutions for the same.
Why is Greying of Hair Concerning?
First of all, we’d like you to know that there are plenty of people who embrace their grey hair with pride. However, there are a lot of people on the other side, for whom premature greying of hair leads to low self-esteem and loss of confidence. They feel socially less accepted and could be looked down upon, and therefore, opting for natural solutions to treat the problem of hair is a great way ahead.
Causes of Premature Greying of Hair
Hair follicles, small sac like structures, can be found all over your body. Melanin found in these cells adds pigment to your hair. With age, these follicles lose pigment, leading to grey or white hair. The cause of premature grey hair is, however, not very well understood. It is believed to be a consequence of an interplay of genetic, environmental, and nutritional factors.
Your genes play an important part in all aspects of your life. If you have premature white or grey hair, it is likely that your close ancestors had the same too. When your genes lead to premature grey hair, what basically happens is that Melanocyte loses its ability to pigment hair and therefore greying of hair begins.
Nutrition too has a major role to play when it comes to greying of hair. Deficiencies of Vitamin B12, copper, zinc and severe iron deficiencies can lead to premature greying. Chronic protein loss, low Vitamin D3 levels and low levels of serum calcium and serum ferritin are also associated with premature greying of hair.
Stress And Smoking
Even your mental health is closely associated with grey hair. With greater stress, the chances of greying of hair increase. On the other hand, smoking too is held to be linked to greying of hair. Smoking leads to an increase in oxidative stress, which further leads to damage of melanocytes, which are the melanin producing cells that give pigment to your hair.
Increased and chronic exposure to ultraviolet rays and overexertion are other factors that can initiate the process of causing harm to melanocytes.
Other Diseases And Pregnancy
In cases when the body begins to attack its own cells, called auto immune disorders, premature greying of hair is a biproduct. Conditions like alopecia and vitiligo, can cause loss of hair pigmentation by attacking your hair. Several other premature aging syndromes, Thyroid disorders and the Down Syndrome are also associated with the early onset of white or grey hair. Even during pregnancy, women are likely to develop greying of hair.
Can Greying of Hair be Prevented?
The answer to this question depends on the cause of premature grey hair. If the condition occurs because of genetic factors, there is much less scope to be able to prevent or completely reverse it. On the other hand, if the premature grey hair is a result of nutritional deficiencies or underlying diseases, there is evidence to support the regeneration of hair pigmentation. Read on to know more about natural solutions for premature greying and how you can both, prevent and reverse the condition.
Natural Solutions for Premature Grey Hair
Curry Leaves and Coconut Oil
Curry leaves or henna leaves, when mixed with coconut oil, help in dealing with premature greying of hair. The excellent qualities of coconut oil, which act as a conditioner enriched with protein, along with curry leaves makes for a sure shot way of dealing with grey hair.
- Boil a handful of curry leaves in coconut oil for six to eight minutes and then cool it down.
- Later, massage it on to your scalp.
Onion and Lemon Juice
Onion is well known for its benefits for hair growth and conditioning. It is no wonder that onion is also an excellent remedy for grey hair.
- Add lemon to onion juice and apply on your scalp.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Henna, Curd and Eggs
Henna is well known for its hair colouring properties. It is however, lesser known, that henna along with curd and eggs can help curb premature greying of hair too.
- Take 2 tablespoons of henna and add and egg to this.
- Further, add 1 tablespoon of plane curd and mix it well.
- Apply the paste and wash off after 30 minutes.
Ribbed Gourd and Olive Oil
Ribbed gourd is a great solution for premature greying. Here is how you can take advantage of the mixture of ribbed gourd and olive oil.
- Dice ribbed gourd into small pieces and dry completely.
- Now soak the pieces in olive oil for three to four days.
- Boil the mixture and later apply to your scalp at least twice in a week.
Black Tea and Salt
Black tea not only helps nourish your hair, but also prevents greying of hair. Tannic acid present in black tea darkens your hair over a period of time.
- Add one tablespoon of salt to a strong cup of black tea.
- Cool the mixture down and massage on your scalp.
- Keep the mixture applied for an hour and then wash it off.
Almond Oil is very rich in protein and Vitamin E. Applying it to your scalp would help you curb greying of hair, apart from nourishing your hair tremendously.
Mustard Oil can deeply nourish your hair because of richness in antioxidants, selenium, and fats. Apart from making your hair thick and shiny, mustard oil also helps in darkening the hair. You can simply heat two to three tablespoons of mustard oil and apply to your scalp. Let it rest overnight and wash it off the next day.
Other Natural Remedies
- Cleansing your hair with shikakai is also a good solution for premature greying. You can grind shikakai pods and mix with curd. Apply it to your scalp and wash off after 15 minutes.
- Rosemary and sage when combined, can help fight greying of hair. Take half cups of both, rosemary and sage, and boil in 2 cups of water. After it cools down, massage on to your scalp and leave to dry. Then, wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Black seed oil also acts as a great solution for premature greying. Heat some amount of the oil and massage the hair and scalp thoroughly. Leave it overnight and wash it with a shampoo on the next day.
- Switch to mild or natural shampoos to prevent the adverse effect of chemicals on your hair.
- Reetha and amla powder are also excellent remedies for grey hair. Wash your hair regularly with reetha and amla powder, mixed in curd, to nourish your hair and prevent grey or white hair.
Dietary Changes for Prevention of Premature Grey Hair
It is very important to look after your diet, in order to prevent the loss of or regenerate hair pigmentation.
- Green leafy vegetables – Increase the amount of green vegetables in your diet. You could include spinach, celery, capsicum, cabbage, and cucumber. This will give you the nutrition required for the nourishment of your hair and will prevent greying of hair.
- Intake of fruits – Increase the intake of fruits like orange, berries and melon which contain Vitamin C and antioxidants that would help in the darkening of hair.
- Nuts – Walnuts, almonds and other nuts are rich in several nutrients like protein, biotin, and Vitamin E, which act as an apt solution for premature greying.
- Antioxidant rich foods – Food items rich in antioxidants such as berries, green tea, broccoli, fish, and olive oil could help in the reversal of grey hair.
- Vitamin Supplements – If you are extremely deficient in vitamins, you could opt for vitamin supplements that would act as a great solution for premature greying as well as nourish your hair and body thoroughly.
Asanas for Preventing Grey Hair
Yoga experts have often linked asanas to prevention and reversal of grey hair, by improving the blood flow and relieving stress and anxiety. By practicing the following asanas daily, you can relieve yourself of stress, as well as grey hair. So here is a list of asanas that you can practice for hair pigmentation.
- Ustrasana – The Camel pose or ustrasana can help you relieve stress and is also linked with the reversal of grey hair. Place your knees and feet together and straighten your spine. Open your shoulders and lift your chest, tilting your head backward, to perform this asana.
- Bhujangasana – Lay flat on your stomach on the ground to perform the cobra pose or bhujangasana. Place your palms down on the ground, while lifting your shoulders and chest off the ground.
- Trikonasana – To perform the trinagle pose or the trikonasana, stand and drift your legs apart. Rotate your left leg sideways and spread your left arm, touching the floor with your hand. Spread your right arm upward, and now look at your right hand.
- You can also rub your nails of both your hands with one another, every day. It is claimed by yoga experts that this helps in improving blood flow to your scalp, thereby acting as a solution for premature greying.
- Similarly, regular practice of deep breathing is also linked with improved blood flow to scalp. Thus, it is fruitful to perform the fire of breath every day.
As we have understood, premature greying of hair is an increasingly common concern among people across all regions. However, there are several natural remedies that can help in curbing grey or white hair. These remedies are aimed at providing the right conditioning to your hair, to improve hair pigmentation. On the other hand, dietary changes are aimed at adding those nutrients to your diet, the deficiency of which can cause your hair to become grey. Another natural solution for premature greying is to practice yoga regularly to improve blood flow and release stress.
While we can always try to reverse greying of hair, what is important is to embrace yourself, and not lower your self-esteem because of any such concern. So while you opt for natural solutions for premature greying, remember to keep your confidence up and going!
- New Workout Technique : Pilates Workout and Fitness - December 14, 2021
- Rana Daggubati Workout Routine, Diet & Fitness Regime - September 12, 2020
- 10 Best Whey Protein Powder for Men, Workout Protein Diet - September 9, 2021