You are very likely to come across the term ‘Whey protein’ if you are into fitness. However, did you know that makers of cheese initially sued to discard whey protein? That is until people came to know about the various benefits of it.
Read on to know in detail the various benefits as well as side effects of the protein powder and how it affects muscle building.
What is Whey Protein?
There are two kinds of protein present in milk – whey and casein. During the production of cheese, whey proteins get isolated as the by-product. This is because all the fatty substances that are present in the milk becomes solid to become cheese, leaving the whey behind.
The benefits of this protein were not recognized for years. However, if you talk about the current scenario, whey protein is considered to be one of the most sought-after proteins for all fitness enthusiasts for losing weight and muscle building.
Like everything else, whey too comes with its own sets of benefits and side effects. In this article, we have discussed all of them in detail.
What are the Benefits of Whey Protein?
The Protein Powder Whey is one of the most popular proteins amongst all fitness enthusiasts. This is for the fact that apart from just being an excellent source of protein, it is also cost-effective and easily available. Along with that, it also comes with a lot of benefits.
To mention a few benefits of the protein powder, Whey is:
- It helps to make you feel full: Do you know what is the main thing that leads to losing weight? It is controlling overeating. Intaking whey helps to do exactly that. Protein provides a good satiety level to everyone controlling their hunger cravings. Whey helps in gaining lean muscles and also increases the metabolism of a person.
Here is How this Protein Helps to Gain Muscle Weight:
- It suppresses the appetite of a person.
- It maintains the mass of the muscle even when losing weight.
- Whey Protein helps in burning more calories, by boosting metabolism.
- Helps your muscles to repair: Our muscles go through certain amount of stress during all the hard workout we do at the gym. Hence, it requires some rest and proteins to heal and repair. Whey helps the muscles to repair the best after a heavy workout. Along with that it also increases the workout and athletic abilities of a person.
- Helps in muscle building and increasing mass: The protein powder Whey releases an anabolic hormone called insulin. This hormone helps in muscle building and increasing muscle strength. Along with that, it also helps in increasing the body’s protein synthesis and stimulates the growth of muscles. Hence, if you are looking for a substance to vitalize your muscle growth, Whey protein is your answer.
- Helps in controlling blood pressure levels: Consuming the protein powder Whey has proved to be beneficial to all the patients with high blood pressure levels. This is owing to the bioactive peptides known as lactokinins that the protein powder contains. In addition to that, it also helps to prevent certain underlying diseases that come with high blood pressure levels, such as heart attack.
- It helps to lower cholesterol: If you are one of those that suffer from cholesterol, then including Whey in your diet is about the right choice. When compared to casein protein, this protein powder helps to control the levels of LDL cholesterol better.
It is the Best Source of High Protein
The nutritional value of the protein powder Whey is very high in comparison to casein protein. This protein comes with a huge list of benefits. Some of them are: This protein can easily be digested. It is the best high-quality protein. This protein can be absorbed quickly.
- It contains all the essential amino acids that is required by the body.
- It has several other health benefits: Along with aiding in muscle building and weight loss, this protein powder also contains several other health benefits. To mention, a few of them are:
- This protein has anti-cancer properties. Patience with cancer ahs shown good results when treated with Whey protein.
- It helps people suffering with HIV to prevent them from losing weight.
- This protein helps to cure children suffering from asthma.
What are the Side-Effects of Whey Protein?
The consumption of why ahs proven to be safe and valuable to many adults. However, it might trigger a problem amongst people that are lactose intolerant. Along with that, if consumed in high doses, it can too lead to various problems such as an acne breakout, bowl problems and more. Read on to know more about the problems that this protein powder can cause:
- Whey can cause allergic reactions: If you are lactose intolerant, you must make it a point to stay away from this protein powder. People who are lactose intolerant can face several allergic reactions. Some of them are throat, lip, and mouth swelling, wheezing, etc.
- It can lead to Cardio-vascular issues: Another drawback of consuming this protein is that it can lead to cardiovascular problems such as cardiac arrest, complete cardio-vascular failure, and heart arrhythmia. Therefore, it is suggested to not overdose on the protein.
- It can lead to kidney problems: If you suffer from kidney problems, then it is better to avoid consuming Whey. This protein can worsen your kidney problems. It can lead to renal issues and kidney stones. Hence, if you consume Whey, ensure you drink a lot of water and eat good amount of fiber.
- Whey can lead to Osteoporosis: Consuming this protein in high dosage can lead to Osteoporosis. It is a disease when a person’s body loses bone. This occurs because when a person consumes this protein in a high dosage, it leads to a mineral imbalance in them.
- It can cause several other health problems: Consuming the Whey protein in high amounts can show several problems. Some of them are fatigue, cramps, stomach problems, fatigue, nausea, and reduction in appetite amongst others.
Which Whey Protein is Best?
There are three kinds of protein powder. The best protein for you is the one that meets your requirements. Read on to know more about them:
- Whey Protein Isolate: This Whey contains 90% protein. It gets processed to remove all of the lactose and fat it contains.
- Whey Protein Concentrate: This percentage of protein in this kind of protein depends on how concentrated the powder is. The percentage can range from 30 to 90%. This powder has low fat and carbohydrate levels.
- Whey Protein Hydrolysate: This powder doesn’t require a lot of digestive power compared to others. This is because it is made to undergo partial hydrolysis. In a way, it has been pre-digested.
Final Take Away:
Whey protein is undoubtedly one of the most sought-after protein when it comes to weight trainers and fitness freaks. This protein powder works wonders when it comes to muscle building and aiding in weight loss. However, like everything else, this too comes with its own set of drawbacks. Hence, this protein must be taken in the said number of doses only and not exceeded.
- Virat Kohli Fitness Workout Routine and Diet Plan - September 13, 2020
- Post Workout Protein Diet Plan – Best Weight Gain Diet Plan - June 21, 2021
- Covid Vaccination, Covid Treatment and Covid Mutation FAQ - May 21, 2021