If you are on a mission to lose weight, it is important to keep in mind that a good weight loss diet plan is essential for shredding the extra weight. While workout helps you burn calories, what you eat, provides you with your calorie intake. Though it is important to maintain a calorie deficit in order to lose weight, it is also necessary to measure and eat the right amount of macronutrients. This will help you with sustainable and healthy weight loss. So, what constitutes a good diet for losing weight? And why is it so important to follow a balanced diet for losing weight? Let us find out.
Why Is Diet So Important For Weight Loss?
Let us face it! Exercise alone can not help you lose weight. Your diet plays an integral role in your weight loss journey. There are several factors that contribute to this fact. Let us understand these better.
By working your heart out, you are bound to increase the appetite of your body. This means that what you intake in the form of calories now, is very crucial for managing your weight. For instance, a protein rich diet, with lesser calories would keep you full for longer. Thus, every part of your diet, including the calorie intake, the macronutrients, and the pattern of diet, can affect your weight loss.
Workout Weight Loss Diet Plan
Morning Routine – To get you in shape, and to workout efficiently, you need to start your day with the right nutrients. You can start your day with lukewarm water with a few drops of lemon and honey. It gives a fresh start to your day and activates your metabolism.
- Protein intake – Protein is a vital nutrient for weight loss, as it helps you burn fat without the loss of muscles. Eat at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of your body weight. You can choose to have eggs, lean meat, fish, soya, as well as whey protein. This will help you strengthen your muscles, while keeping you full all day. It is a must in your weight loss diet plan.
- Carbohydrates – Keep your carbohydrate intake at low to moderate when you are on your weight loss journey. Oats, boiled, potatoes, and other fiber rich food like whole grain, and porridge, contain the good forms of carbohydrates that you can readily intake.
- Drink 5 to 6 litres of water every day. Water cleanses your system, and in turn helps in burning calories. It may also help in reducing your appetite, when drinking before meals.
- Balanced Diet – It is important that your diet plan has a balance of all macronutrients and other vitamins and minerals. You should include eggs, meat, leafy vegetables, soup, boiled vegetables, non-sugary fruits, whole grains, coconut oil, and yogurt among other items in your diet. These food items will give your diet a wholesome, balanced nature.
- Nuts, Oil and Seeds – As we talk about a balanced diet, nuts and seeds form the backbone of this diet. They provide you with energy along with the right nutrition and fibre. You should include almonds, chia seeds, and flax seeds in your diet. Oil, on the other hand, plays an important role in your weight loss. For cooking food, you should opt for coconut oil, mustard oil, olive oil, or ghee because of the nutrition that these oils provide.
Now that we know what you should eat while trying to lose weight, let us also find out the food items that should be avoided during this journey.
Food Items To Avoid For Weight Loss
Weight loss comes to you as a part and a parcel of a healthy lifestyle. This means that there are plenty of tasty food items that you should avoid if you want to lose weight. Let us find out!
- Sugar – It is essential to cut down on your sugar intake while trying to lose weight. You must avoid sugary beverages, candy bars, chocolates, ice-cream, cake, biscuits, and some fruit juices.
- Fried food – Fried food is a big no when trying to lose weight. Potato chips, french fries, samosas, spring rolls etc. must be taken out of your diet.
- Refined flour – Refined flour is a very unhealthy form of flour, compared to whole grains. It is full of calories, difficult to digest, and lacks nutrition. Therefore, you ought to take a miss at pizzas, white bread, burgers, buns, patties, and noodles.
- Alcohol (particularly beer) – While it is still doubtful to correlate any other alcohol with weight gain, beer is a definite no! It is full of calories and would make you gain weight as well as some extra inches, if taken in excess.
- Processed meat – Processed meat such as bacon, sausages, and hot dogs, have been found to be related to weight gain. They are also associated with an increased risk for cancer, diabetes and hypertension.
Pre Workout Diet For Weight Loss
It is essential to follow a good weight loss diet plan throughout the day, even before your workout routine. A good pre workout diet is a must have, because it gives you the stamina to workout efficiently, while also giving your body the right macronutrients for muscle strengthening and weight loss.
For its fuel, your body uses glucose from carbohydrates. The glycogen stores become the main source of energy for your muscles while working out for a short period and at a high intensity. When it comes to longer, moderate intensity workouts, fats become the source of energy. Proteins on the other hand, help you with improved athletic performance, while also helping you with muscle recovery.
Now that you know the role of different nutrients in your pre workout diet, you must be wondering about the appropriate timing for having this meal. Here is what you need to know! It is recommended that you consume a balanced meal, constituting all nutrients, 2 to 3 hours before your workout routine. However, if you are unable to do so, and are bound to eat closer to your exercise schedule, you should opt for food that is easier to digest.
Now let us dig in to what you should be eating as part of your pre workout diet.
- Meals to have 2 to 3 hours before your workout
- Eggs with multigrain toast
- Lean protein, rice, and roasted vegetables
- Protein smoothie
- Oatmeal topped with banana and almonds
- Meals to have 45 to 60 minutes before workout
- Nutrition/Protein bar
Tip: Add bananas and mixed berries along with protein powder to your milk, to make a wholesome protein shake!
Post Workout Diet For Weight Loss
By now you must know the importance of a pre workout meal. However, in your journey for weight loss, a balanced post workout diet is also an integral part.
As we understood, while you’re working out, your body uses up the glycogen content in your body. It also breaks down some of the protein present in your muscles. Therefore, it is most important to consume carbohydrates and proteins post your workout routine.
It is highly recommended that you consume your post workout diet within 45 minutes of your exercise. This helps your body in building the required muscles and recovering faster.
Food For A Post Workout Diet
- Sweet Potatoes
- Protein Shake
- Lean meat
- Dark, green, leafy vegetables
- Protein Bar
Simple Tips For Quick Weight Loss Diet Plan
You are on the right track to lose weight. While you are at it, here are some simple tips that will help you with your weight loss diet plan. Let us find out!
Opt for Home Cooked Food
Choosing home cooked meals over eating out has innumerable benefits. The processed food, sugar, and oil in packed, processed, or street food, is going to hamper with your weight loss. So, be sure to always pick home cooked food.
Start the Day with a Wholesome Breakfast
Research estimates that you eat upto 500 extra calories in a day, when you skip your breakfast. Eating a balanced meal for your breakfast gives you the boost for the day, to perform your daily routine, workout, as well as improves your metabolism.
Opt for Smaller Plates
If you want to lose weight, along with eating a good diet, it is important to manage the right portions. For this, you can pick smaller plates and eat just enough.
Eat Your Meal Slowly
It is a well known fact that it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to signal to your brain that it is full. Hence, if you go on eating for those 20 minutes, you might end up eating twice as much is required to keep you full. So, go slow!
Maintain a Log of Your Meals
It has been proven time and again, if your mind is aware of the calories that you are consuming, it will know when to stop. Hence, it is a great idea to maintain a log of all your meals and understand your daily calorie intake.
Make Healthy Food Interesting
It is a notion that healthy food can only be boring and monotonous. Well, let us break this notion! Make simple changes to interesting recipes. Replace refined flour with whole wheat flour or durum wheat for cooking noodles, pasta, and pizza at home. Add lots of vegetables to these meals to form a balanced meal. You can also make homemade ice cream using bananas instead of sugar. In your salads, replace mayonnaise with hung curd. You would be surprised to find out that healthy food can in fact be delicious.
Concluding Thoughts : Diet for Losing weight
If you have begun with your weight loss diet plan journey or are planning to do so, you must know that it requires determination and commitment to a healthy lifestyle. By making simple changes to your diet, and exercising regularly, you can easily lose weight rapidly. It is important to follow a balanced diet for your pre workout meals, post workout meals, and for the rest of the day. Yoga is another way to lose weight and help your body get into the perfect shape. But yoga also demands proper diet for losing weight along with it. This will keep you energised all day, while giving you the stamina to burn calories. So, now that you are fully equipped with the path to weight loss; get going!
Latest posts by Manya Sikka (see all)
- Workout Weight Loss Diet Plan : Best Diet for Losing Weight - February 15, 2021
- How Workout Burn Calories – Burn Fat With Cardio Workout - January 24, 2021
- Super Gonorrhea Spreading Rapidly, Due To COVID-19 - January 11, 2021